- 2002-Present – Park Staff, Bill Folsom and I planted 300 Turtlehead plants into 3 locations in the park.
- 2004 – Applied for permit from USDA to bring stock from NY, PA, WVA, & MD.
- 2005 – Permit issued.
- April 2006 – Purchased stock from NY, none were available in VA or MD.
- June 2006 – Introduced Baltimores into wet meadow ditches near Lake Gardiner and Lake Caroline.
- June 2007 – Introduced Baltimores to Lake Lena wetland.
- Fall of 2007 – Two egg nest at Lake Lena.
- Late Spring 2008 – Introduced adults into Lake Lena area. Several caterpillar nests were found.
- Spring 2009 – Baltimores wintered over at Lake Lena.
- Late Spring 2009 – Introduced caterpillars to the meadow and the ditch area near Lake Caroline.
- Late Spring 2009 – Bill Folsom took photographs of adult Baltimores flying in the meadow.
- Summer/Fall of 2009 – Bill Folsom took photographs of egg nests in the meadow and the ditch area of Lake Caroline.
- Winter 2010 – Baltimores are wintering over at home and at the park. They usually emerge early to mid April. This year they emerged March 21.
- Spring 2011 — I saw caterpillars at the park eating. At home, I only found 5 caterpillars. I was able to raise 2 males and 2 females. I did get the females to lay, but the eggs did not hatch. At the park, no sign of the adults and no web. Looks like my colony has crashed.
Link for Meadowlark Botanical Gardens: http://www.nvrpa.org/park/meadowlark_botanical_gardens
All material copyrighted July 2011.